This summer at Queen’s University Economics Department, John Deutsch International successfully delivered the 19th Program on Investment Appraisal and Risk Analysis.
From July 2nd to 27th, 2018, professionals from Africa, Canada, the Middle East and the Caribbean participated in the 19th Program on Investment Appraisal and Risk Analysis. We were fortunate to have diversified professionals joined us for the PIAR. The participants are from the following countries and organizations:
- Development Finance Institutions
- Arab Bank for Economic Development in Africa.
- Caribbean Development Bank.
- Islamic Development Bank.
- Global Innovation Fund.
- BUI Power Authority Ghana.
- Ghana Water Company Limited.
- Ministry of Finance Public Investment Program Unit
- Volta River Authority.
- Niger Investment Board
- GIBB Africa Ltd.
- Ministry of Finance Planning and Economic Development – Public Private Partnership Unit.
- Ministry of Health – Public Private Partnership Node.
- Uganda Development Corporation.
- Kenwill International Limited.
- Graduate students from Queen’s University, Canada and Eastern Mediterranean University, Cyprus.
Facing the challenge of a rigorous curriculum, the participants were unfailingly diligent. Their outstanding performance set the bar high for future programs.
Some of the highlights this year included seminars conducted by distinguished guest lecturers, such as:
- Professor Harberger of UCLA.
- Ms. Hanna Zowall, a Health Economist from McGill University.
- Dr. M. Baher El-Hifnawi, Global Lead, Development Corridors and Regional Integration Global Practice Transport and ICT at World Bank Group.
- Dr. Frank Milne, Bank of Montreal Professor of Economics and Finance Economics Department Queen’s University.
- Prof. Dr. Hatice Jenkins, Department of Banking and Finance Eastern Mediterranean University, Cyprus.
Moreover, outside the classroom, participants enjoyed recreational activities including the 1000 Islands Cruise, the BBQ at the home of Dr. Glenn Jenkins at Lake Sydenham, a trip to see Niagara Falls and breakfast and luncheons with the faculty and staff of Queen’s Economics Department. With excellent program evaluation results, the participants unanimously recommended the program to their colleagues.
We want to thank our alumni and participants for making the 2018 Program on Investment Appraisal and Risk Analysis such a memorable and fruitful experience.
Click here to see the program’s alumni.
Featured Testimonials from 2018 participants:
“As an independent reviewer of public sector projects and programs I needed a practical hands-on course which would enable me to build spreadsheet models for the analysis of investments across sectors. PIAR gave me that and I feel more equipped to do my job.”
Ms. Gertrude Aerone Basima
Ministry of Finance Planning and Economic Development, Uganda
“An exceptional learning experience! A well-designed programme that I would highly recommend to anyone involved in design.”
Mr. Paul Karekezi
GIBB Africa Ltd, Kenya
“I have had an amazing experience into the details of project appraisal and risk assessment and would encourage others contemplating to attend. This is a great program.”
Ing. Isaac Bedu
Manager, Project Management
Volta River Authority, Ghana
Thanks to all the participants and faculty again for making the 2018 PIAR so memorable.